Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Welcome to SAUTE!

Washington Square is happily where I call home in Philadelphia. I'm proud to say our patio boasts the best views of Washington Square Park and the surrounding city that stole my heart in the summer of 2006.

Please join me as I make sense of the extra time on my hands. I'll eat, drink, and travel. I'll post photos, tips, and tricks from Philadelphia and other cities in the US. I'll share lessons learned, new ideas, and old family recipes that originated mostly in Ukraine, parts of the Mediterranean and the good old city of Allentown. I’m excited to share with you my own cooking and dining experiences as well!

I absolutely love to be in the kitchen, and even grocery shopping that I would do it every single day, if I could. Actually sometimes I do.  I can get lost for hours in a farmers market and some of my most useful college memories include trips to the Renninger’s Antiques and Farmers Market in Kutztown, Pa on the weekends.   For me, cooking has never been a chore and I find it close to impossible to run out of ideas. 

I am an only child, and have been collecting recipes and cookbooks since I was little girl. I remember asking my Grandpop at a very young age to write down “exactly” how he made his adorable Manhattan Clam Chowder and being in the kitchen with my Mom rolling cabbage for Halupkis and not exactly understanding what she meant when she said, "Well...there's not really a recipe.."  By now I already have a chaotic collection of recipes that gives my mother’s little black book (held together with a pink rubber band from the 60's) a run for her money. I am not shy about asking for a recipe! Although I rarely actually follow recipes...I mainly just use them for ideas, memories and keepsakes.


Also, I get many requests from friends for all kinds of recommendations such as: where to take a special date, my favorite restaurants and hotels in cities all over the US, last minute vacation ideas, how to find the best flight, where to find a cheap happy hour in the city, etc. There is nothing I love more than helping someone plan for something special...and finding an off the beaten path gem!

I'll share all of this and more with you, plus my latest adventures in life, all while we prepare for our upcoming move to Washington, DC early this fall.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I feel the same way about cooking and recipes, I never truly follow everything they say. Looking forward to reading more :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for including me in your blog mailing, i'm a big blog fan! This is a great idea and considering we seem to share many interests, I will be checking back v. often. x

    ReplyDelete